hubcapcollector.com

The only site for threaded hubcap collectors!


Home :: Login
Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Home > User galleries > frank > Threaded Hubcap Photos and Information
Click to view full size image

Calthorpe 1912

see comments

Calcott_NPPB_1_B.jpg CalthorpeMinor_NPPB.jpg Calthorpe_.jpg Calthorpe_PB_A.jpg Calthorpe_PB_B.jpg
Rate this file (No vote yet)
File information
Filename:Calthorpe_.jpg
Album name:frank / Threaded Hubcap Photos and Information
Keywords:missqld / picture
Filesize:31 KiB
Date added:Aug 14, 2007
Dimensions:494 x 331 pixels
Displayed:122 times
URL:http://hubcapcollector.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1267
Favorites:Add to Favorites

Comment 1 to 1 of 1
Page: 1

Frank   [Aug 17, 2007 at 09:57 AM]
Calthorpe cars were made in Bordesley Green, Birmingham, England from 1904 to 1932.The company started out as a Birmingham bicycle maker run by George W Hands who, in 1904, made his first motor car, a 10 hp four cylinder model. They briefly made some larger types but it was in the light car field that they specialised using proprietary White and Poppe engines. The cars were successfully raced in France in the Coupe de l'Auto series. A small car was announced in 1913 for the 1914 season with the 10 hp Minor which proved to be a real large car in miniature with 3 speed gearbox and shaft drive.
After the war the large cars were dropped but the Minor re-appeared with a slightly larger engine of 1261 cc. In 1920 a Mr J Mathews was in charge of production and a target of making 50 cars a week was set. The cars continued to have excellent coachwork made by the Calthorpe subsidiary company of Mulliner (acquired in 1917) who had an adjacent factory. Sporting activity continued with Woolf Barnatto, amongst others, racing at Brooklands. George Hands briefly left the company in 1922 to set up his own Hands make of cars in the Calthorpe motor cycle factory in Barn Street, Birmingham but returned in 1924. Whilst away he developed the six cylinder overhead camshaft engine that was fitted for a short time to the 12/20. The Hands cars seem to have used Dorman engines

Comment 1 to 1 of 1
Page: 1